FIGHTING EFFORT FROM ANDREA VERONA AT ENDUROGP IN FINLAND.
GASGAS FACTORY RACING CHAMP PUTS IN A SPIRITED RIDE AT ROUND THREE OF THE ENDUROGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
EnduroGP can be a tough old game. Despite carding two Enduro2 podium finishes, GASGAS Factory Racing’s Andrea Verona wasn’t quite able to hit the high standards he sets for himself at round three of the FIM EnduroGP World Championship in Finland. Finishing just off the overall EnduroGP podium each day, the defending champ ended day one in fifth before going one better for fourth on day two in Heinola.
Hoping to turn his fortunes around after a frustrating showing at round two in Spain, Verona arrived at the first leg of back-to-back Scandinavian rounds fired up for success on his EC 350F. However, with a seventh in the Friday evening Super Test, the weekend didn’t begin as well as he hoped.
Day one was a tough, old school enduro. Big bog holes and rutted, rocky trails took plenty of prisoners! Despite solid times on the extreme test, the enduro test bit back and Andrea was never quite able to keep his momentum rolling throughout each lap. Ending day one fifth in EnduroGP and third in Enduro2, he looked for more on day two.
Fastest of the Enduro2 riders on the opening cross test, Andrea was off to a great start on day two. And with top-four times on the first five special tests, he was moving in the right direction. Second fastest outright on the second enduro test put a smile back on the Italian’s face, as he enjoyed a more competitive end to the day, finishing fourth in EnduroGP and runner-up in Enduro2.
Andrea Verona:“It’s been a difficult weekend. I’m not fully satisfied with my riding. Although in the cross test my pace was good, I just didn’t have an answer to the leaders in the enduro test and I couldn’t get myself into the fight. These conditions in Finland are difficult, they are quite unique and hard to master in a short space of time. Thankfully we have the GP of Sweden next weekend to give us a chance to regroup and be stronger. I’ll give it my all there, like I did here in Finland and continue to fight.”
Results – 2023 EnduroGP World Championship, Round 3
Day 1 – EnduroGP
1. Brad Freeman (Beta) 58:05.88
2. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 59:00.60
3. Josep Garcia (KTM) 59:33.84
5. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 1:00:28.09
Day 1 – Enduro2
1. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 59:00.60
2. Hamish MacDonald (Sherco) 1:00:04.96
3. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 1:00:28.09
Day 2 – EnduroGP
1. Josep Garcia (KTM) 56:50.87
2. Brad Freeman (Beta) 56:59.11
3. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 56:59.82
4. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 57:51.70
Day 2 – Enduro2
1. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 56:59.82
2. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 57:51.70
3. Hamish MacDonald (Sherco) 58:06.09
Championship Standings (After Round 3)
1. Brad Freeman (Beta) 117pts
2. Josep Garcia (KTM) 92pts
3. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 92pts
4. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 84pts
1. Steve Holcombe (Beta) 114pts
2. Andrea Verona (GASGAS) 106pts
3. Hamish MacDonald (Sherco) 88pts